Saturday, February 7, 2009

The dog commandments


The following post was originally published by Karen on KP’s Dog Blog, May 16, 2008 and also again recently on PETA's web site.

My opinion: this article will never suffer from over-saturation. It is a message that needs to reach as many people as possible.

My husband watches how people handle animals and judges them accordingly. You can tell a whole lot about people by how they treat their pets. Please shower them with love and keep your promise of a forever home after you adopt them.

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be very painful.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me―it’s crucial to my well-being.

4. Don’t be angry with me for long, and don’t lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainment. I have only you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don’t understand your words, I understand your voice.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it.

7. Before you hit me, remember that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones in your hand, but I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being lazy or uncooperative, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’ve been out in the sun too long or my heart may be getting old.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You, too, will grow old.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, “I can’t bear to watch it” or “Let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, I love you.

―Author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments that exceed the barrier of good taste will be deleted. I reserve the right to arbitrarily decide.