Saturday, January 26, 2013
1963 homemade Valentine card
When I was in grade 2, I made a Valentine card for my Mom and Dad from scraps around the house. It was saved and resurfaced during the packing up of my Dad's apartment, when he died.
I vaguely remembered secretly making it when I was 7 years old so I could surprise and make them happy. I certainly didn't recall making a 3D, handmade, multimedia card in 1963.
There have been no repairs made to it and, upon careful inspection, I figure this was the method I used:
- The main heart and the 3 small hearts were cut freehand from plain, writing paper that was folded in half.
- I carefully printed my greeting, in pencil, on the each of the hearts.
- Then the small hearts were stapled on to the large heart.
- It was then stapled it to a pleated, taffeta, sewing embellishment, which most likely came from Mom's sewing basket.
- The last staple attached the whole thing in the centre to a round, paper doily.
They must have liked it because it was included with some very important family memorabilia.