Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Forever Marked: A Dermatillomania Diary


My niece wrote this book. It's a heartbreaking 2006 diary of Angela's struggles with a disorder causing permanent mutilation.

Her purpose for sharing was to reach out to others suffering in silence because very little is known about Dermatillomania besides that it falls under the impulse control disorder umbrella. Unfortunately, those who practice this usually cannot find the proper help, if they seek it at all; their shame isolates them.

If you are interested in reading it, you can contact Angela through her book's Facebook page or email her at forever.marked@yahoo.ca

Updated: March 9, 2013
20th Annual National Conference on Hair Pulling & Skin Picking Disorders - April 19-21, 2013 | Renaissance Newark Hotel, New Jersey

November 25, 2012
Niece officially launches Dermatillomania website

Updated: February 3, 2011
Scars of Shame

7 comments:

  1. Hi, unfortunately I have the same problem as your niece, and I have had it for six years. I would like to know what her facebook name is please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie's Facebook link for Dermatillomania is

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/FOREVER-MARKED-A-Dermatillomania-Diary-by-Nova-Scotian-author-A-Hartlin/177738602694?v=info

    You can also contact her via email at:

    forever.marked@yahoo.ca

    I would also forward your request for her personal Facebook page but you haven't left any info where she can contact you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel so bad for her. but i'm just like her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous: You should contact Angie. She would be happy to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic...I'm really inspired by this. I'm thirteen now, and I've been struggling with the condition for about two years now. I can't exactly afford the book seeing as I'm only thirteen and dont have a job...is there anywhere I could find it online?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps you can write Angie and ask if there is an online version.

    forever.marked@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
  7. See the 'Scars of Shame' trailer for the documentary at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGjhx7OGcGU

    ReplyDelete

Any comments that exceed the barrier of good taste will be deleted. I reserve the right to arbitrarily decide.